How would you like to swim here? Yes, it is the Pacific Ocean in the background. Or, better yet, what if you owned this pool? I'm the girl that used to dream the sidewalks were a pool lane, and you could swim everywhere you wanted to go - it was always so disappointing to awake from these splendid dreams. The castle was amazing and this pool particularly was breathtaking. I just wanted to jump in. For many years Hearst only stayed here for a week or two in the summer because lack of communication (no phones) made it impossible for him to be away from his work in New York.


This is the view facing East - with the pool behind us.
The Hearst castle was a big highlight for Mitch especially. He has been wanting to see it for a long time and with our trip to San Luis Obispo for Jamies reception, we were only an hour away. Unfortunately we didn't have the best tour guide but the castle spoke for itself (ghosts of the past I guess) and what info we lacked is certainly available on line. We only saw al portion of the castle. There are 4 or 5 separate tours and ours included... taken from the website www.hearstcastle.org :
| |
- "The Cloisters” – a set of four guest rooms bordered by open walkways. The cloister rooms were often used for two related guests; with the two-bed, two-bath arrangement for privacy even though the guests were sharing the same room.
- The Gothic Study was the last of the major rooms built at San Simeon. The study was a work area for Hearst, in lieu of a sanctuary from the usual presence of guests.
- The Library contains a collection of over 4,000 volumes of rare books. The library also houses 155 pieces of ancient pottery; mostly imported from Greece.
- The Service Wing comprises 32 rooms for the use of the household staff, including 12 bedrooms, 10 bathrooms, a hotel-sized kitchen, butler’s pantry, staff dining room and seven miscellaneous rooms.
- The Neptune and Roman Pools highlighted on all the Hearst Castle tour
4 comments:
I am so glad that you guys were able to go up to Hearst Castle and better yet I was so happy that you came to our reception. Thanks you guys are the best
Yup, I definitely need to go back. Maybe there is a special tour sometime in the summe when we can "try out" the pool?
Yes, I wish.
Maybe right at the end of the tour you could jump in. You should probably wait to do that until you've seen all you've wanted to see in case they make sure you never come back :) I liked the castle. It was different then I had imagined, maybe because we didn't see the "great" rooms downstairs. I love your pictures!
If we ever had money to burn (not too likely but I can dream) I would have an indoor pool. I would also have a dry and wet sauna and a hot tub.
I am with you on swimming instead of walking on the sidewalks! It looks beautiful, what a fun day!
Post a Comment